Entrance doors - which construction is best for Perth
27 Mar 2018
Engineered, solid core or hardwood door?
There is much debate in the market place about which type or entrance door performs best in the Western Australia Climate. Each retailer will assure you that they have the best product, so let’s look at the advantages and disadvantages or each type of entry door.
DoorStop engineered – individual pieces of hardwood timber laminated together with meranti veneer
- 7-year warranty
- Can be trimmed 10mm from any side
- Stable in the heat – not likely to shrink or warp
- Will not blow out with moisture like MDF solidcore
- Can be painted or stained
- Still solid hardwood but laminated
- Off the shelf only, not available in custom sizes
- Completely flat finish cannot be achieved with painting.Grain will show through.
- Only available in meranti finish
- Veneer lifting – rare and covered under warranty
Solidcore – this is a door constructed using MDF (medium density fibreboard)
- Can be routed in many styles and can be supplied in special order sizes
- Can be bought in a timber or paint finish
- Less prone to shrinkage
- Can be easily damaged by water, door expands and typically blows out at the bottom / sides
- Can only be trimmed 3mm on any side
- Very strict warranty conditions regarding the amount of weather protection above the door
- Glazed doors are only beaded on one side.MDF chamfer on the other side
- The rout on the design will stain differently to the main part of the door
- Only 5-year conditional warranty
Solid Hardwood door – made from one-piece hardwood
- Can be stained or painted
- 5-year warranty
- Will not blow out in water
- Can be customised to different styles and sizes
- Door is only as good as the quality of timber used in manufacture
- Likely to shrink and expand with changes in weather conditions
- More likely to warp in the heat
- Splits and shakes are common with high temperatures
- Quality hardwood doors are expensive and required significant maintenance
Based on the three available options we believe the Doorstop engineered door to be the most stable for the Western Australia Climate which is why we give the longest warranty period in the industry.
People Love Door Stop
Thanks again to all staff at DoorStop for wonderful service and for supplying a great product. We are REALLY happy with your (our!) Pivot Door, so thank you David for helping us choose originally. We will certainly recommend your company whenever the opportunity arises.
Would like to say a big thank you for our new pivot door, it looks great and the installer did a great job.
I love my doors, they are great - had them open all weekend and I am glad I took your advice on the fly screens. Thank you for all your service, it was great. Please pass on my thanks to the gentlemen (oops sorry forgotten his name) who fitted the doors, he was terrific). I will be very happy to recommend Door Stop in the future. Many thanks.
Free in-Store consultation
With an amazing range and dedicated team, we can help you find the perfect doors for your home. Drop by one of our Joondalup or Osborne Park showrooms for a free consultation.